Friday, January 25, 2008

Paint fumes

Today I'd like to discuss politics. Not really politics. It's more of a Mr. Rogers ideology.

Let's put our hands in under age puppets.


That is all.

Psyche!!!

During the civil rights movement, there were some white people involved. Most of these white people were jewish. The spell corrector wants me to change that word to newish. That works too. In the beginning, the alliance seemed obvious. Intelligent oppressed people trying to live in the states as free as the next guy. But as the struggle wore on, some conflicts arose between this alliance. There are a number of logical reasons and a number of examples that I remember reading and seeing on PBS. Not in Ken Burns film's, but in super low budget documentaries that have interviews in hotel lobbies and use mostly public domain pictures of civil rights era photos that didn't always necessarily emphasize the situations being discussed in the narrative. One example was of an African American city taking control of predominantly African American schools and firing white teachers, most of whom were jewish and had fought in the cause. This kind of erupted a fight between the two. Folks in the interview used words like "heartbroken" and "troubling" on both sides of the conflict. The point is, they seemed the two most unlikely groups to fight in those times when their enemies were so much more powerful and evil. It would be like He-Man and...well I don't think anyone would team up with He-man. How about A.L.F and Black Panther. It would be like A.L.F and the Black Panther teamed up against Skeletor and Cobra Commander. Let's face it, He Man and G.I. Joe would probably have sat out the Civil Rights movement and waited to see which way the wind would blow. Then when everything was over they would tell their kids that they were in Civil Rights activities when really they just happen to be at one where this hippie chick who they were trying to bang was going to be. The point is, no one wants to see A.L.F and the Black Panther fight amongst each other. Not over something so big as Cobra and Skeletor. That's how I feel when I see this Obama Clinton fight going on. First of all, the media is kind of building it up. We all are. We are used to seeing it and we want to see it. Gore tried to be friendly with Bush and it didn't work out for him so well.

The point is, someone started stirring up shit. It was Bill Clinton. Obama and Hilary used to be buds, and it was cool. In this last debate, they started attacking each other. Edwards kept jumping in too, like a little dog that sees two big dogs fighting and jumps in to bite every now and then. But I don't care who started. No one ever does. I just want to see Obama and Hilary diffuse it. Edwards needs to back off too. To get that far in politics, everyone is going to have mistakes behind them. The truth is, if you look at all their resumes, they have a long list of doing great things for the country. From what I've read, heaps more good than harm.

Civil Rights books have chapters about how splinters of Civil Rights activists would fight amongst each other sometimes. Over little things like who would lead protests, when to lead protests, what churches or schools to start at, who gets to speak and other things. Martin Luther King would always resolve everything and bring them together. He would diffuse any conflicting. He got people fighting for the same cause and to keep their focus fighting intolerance and racism instead of each other. The falling out between the jews and the African American organizations happened after he was gone.

Martin Luther King also wrote about how when white people would hear his message and truly change, no one would ever see it. The media was never interested when he had the real human to human breakthroughs, they were only there when dogs were unleashed or hoses were fired. I'm sure he was disappointed in this. He truly wanted to make things better without fighting. He just wanted to make things better and bring people together.


Right now it seems like many things are working against people and our pursuits of happiness. Skeletor and Cobra are peeing on people's bread, putting glitter on the top of fan blades and waiting for their unsuspecting roommates to turn them on, and disconnecting our car batteries. Not only that, but they have tracked dog shit into our houses and then took turns smelling their shoes saying "It wasn't me, It wasn't me," when it obviously was one of them. They are leaving stuff that we will be cleaning up for some time. When we move out, the landlord is going to keep our deposits and write reasons like, "ruined carpet, funny smell in closet??." We need people who want to make things better. Not say the things that they think we want to hear, or make some things slightly better for a few while making things atrocious for most.

I don't want to see an African American man and a female who both have a historic chance of leading the country in a right direction squabble with each other. There are bigger things at stake, there are worse people and worse things to argue about. We don't have time to waste. Seeing Obama or Hilary getting visibly upset and agitated at one another or throwing out quips about how one maybe worked for a chicago slum lord, or the other made a wrong choice about an ambiguous bill allowing Bush to go to war, makes them see disingenuous about caring about the fate and descent of the country. If they are angry at someone, be angry at someone deserving or attack something or some issue that needs attacking. There are plenty of them.

I know they have been pitted against each other longer than other candidates and it seems more is at stake, but they can't take their eye of the prize. They can't fight amongst each other because the more they fight each other, the less they have time to fight other things worth fighting. The more they fight, the less the republicans fight. The more they fight, the more divided other democrats have to become. The more they fight, the more I have to watch News shows edit clips of them fighting together. The more they fight, the more I have to hear about googling Ron Paul. I like Ron Paul, I just don't want to google him, I mean I barely know him. I don't google until the second or third date anyways, unless Zima is involved.

Let's get it right this time. Imagine the progress missed out on when the jews and African Americans fought, imagine the cigars Skeletor and Cobra smoked while A.L.F and Black Panther fought about who had tried to convince Reagan more to chill out on the weapons program (and keep in mind that they only smoke cigars made of children's brains).

Their are enough superficial divisions in the country. Let's get together, work together, campaign against a legacy of tyranny together. Let's root for an African American or woman president together. Let's be better than we usually are, better than our own human instincts tell us to be. I want to see them holding hands as they walk up to the endless debating podiums, and holding hands as they walk away to read blogs about what people think of them and look at funny pictures of cats.




I was going to try to keep my political affiliation ambiguous in my blog, but it's pretty obvious I'm for A.L.F.


I also have to admit that I have googled Ron Paul. I googled him long, and I googled him hard. That might explain the rash I know have on myspace.

No comments: